WHY 12-STEP LIteracy matters
Consider these numbers on alcoholism:
- 1 in 8 people – 12.7% of the population now meets diagnostic criteria for “alcohol use disorder” (According to a study by JAMA Psychiatry)
- And it's even higher – 1 in 4 people – for those under age 30
- 19.7 million Americans battle substance use disorder (2017: National Survey on Drug Use and Health)
- A wide range of people are finding freedom from a range of addictions in 12-step communities such as Workaholics Anonymous, Debtors Anonymous, Emotions Anonymous, and Online Gamers Anonymous just to name a few (see expanded list below)
- Generally accepted figures suggest one addict affects at least 4 other people around them, if not more, including family, friends, employers, etc.
Chances are there are people in your community who are actively addicted, in recovery, or affected by someone who is either. Understanding addiction and recovery can help us all make our sacred spaces welcoming and safe for all valuable members of our communities.
SUGGESTED READING LIST
12-STEP FELLOWSHIP LINKS